Sep 24, 2012

Fall Sewing With Knits, Leather and Leggings

I'm pretty sure I resolved some time last winter to sew more garments that I would wear every day, rather than these cute dresses we all love but are useless to a work-at-home mom such as myself. If you saw my closet, you'd have no sympathy when I whine, "I have nothing to wear!" But I can't kick it at the playground in a dress. (You're thinking, "Yes, you can! They do it all the time on TV!" But real life goes something like this: stubborn kid refuses to go down slide unless you accompany her + gust of wind =  all the Russian and Dominican moms get a good laugh at the lack of elasticity in my underpants. Now they're really never going to talk to me.)

I've said too much already, haven't I? Anyway, I have a few patterns on deck, but little in the way of fabric (I should start accepting donations). 

First up, these leggings — McCall's 6404, View C. I have a black double-knit and faux leather for the knee patches. They're very similar to a pair I Macgeyvered last winter, using some old Mountain Equipment Co-op longjohns. I loved those to death. (Truly: they're in a landfill somewhere now). Hopefully this pair will be sturdier:


I also like View A, though minus the welt pockets. I think those make these leggings look too much like ski pants:


Of course, I'll need something to wear on top of my new leggings, and I still love me a Dolman sleeve, so: Vogue 8771. 


I like how a cowl neck balances out my pear-shaped figure, so Vogue 8831 is another knit option with a myriad of possibilities.


I've done so well at sewing out of my stash this past year that (other than the aforementioned pleather) all I am left with is odd yards of chiffon for kid craft projects and quilting-weight cottons. So get to the Garment District I must, so I can find some good knits for all of these. Anybody have a favorite source for knits in NYC?



10 comments:

  1. Ooh, I like these patterns! They look totally comfy, but stylish! Honestly, I don't have a favorite spot for knits, but let me know if you find one. I don't really like the super stretchy, sheer, slinky knits, and it seems like that's what most of the stores seems to have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these. I feel like all I really want to wear on any given day is leggings with a tunic of sorts. Mood fabrics, although maybe a bit pricey, had some really nice thick ponte knits when I was there. I can't wait to see how they turn out because I might need to copy you. I love the idea of pleather/knit leggings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, when all else fails, I go to Mood. But my budget is teeny, so I am hoping for $5/yard find somewhere...I love leggings, tunics and boots too. Such a great fall look.

      Delete
  3. if all else fails, i order most of my knits come from girlcharlee.com. $5/yd knits and reasonable shipping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great site! I fell in love with two prints right away...and now I never have to leave my apartment!

      Delete
  4. Great plans! I've had my eye on Vogue 8831. I haven't found a great spot in the Garment District for knits either... and I have a hard time biting the bullet at Mood for $10-14/yd. Please let us know if you find a good place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. $14/yard is too much for me too. Chic Fabrics has lots of lightweight jerseys for $5/yard (and lots of good stripes), but for thicker, more wintry stuff...I just don't know.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...