May 8, 2014

Quiz: Which Hemline Are You?!!

OK, that was a tease. I didn't actually craft a Buzzfeed-style online test to see whether your personality is a mini or a maxi. (I hate those quizzes; all they do is reinforce stereotypes and tell your Facebook friends how much of a slacker you are at work!)

But I am thinking this week about hemlimes — and how to build outfits around them (and why do I only usually wear one length?).

Do you have a favorite hemline? I like my skirts to hit at the knee or just slightly above it. To my eye, this is the most flattering length on me, and can be worn with flats or heels. Too short, and I feel self-conscious (after having a kid I have a lot of broken capillaries on my legs; I don't lose any sleep over that fact because, hey, I created a human being and that's awesome! — but the world still doesn't need to see them). Too long, and I think I look short (I'm 5'3") .... or Orthodox (I live in a pretty conservative Jewish neighborhood in New York City. My cultural touchstones have changed in recent years; when I lived in Winnipeg, I would have said I looked Mennonite).

Church-ready?
My sewing students asked me to add a skirt class to my Spring/Summer schedule so I've been testing out a pattern I thought would be a great first skirt project for new sewers. It's McCall's 3341, and is about as classic as it gets: slight A-line with darts at the waist in the front and back, a 7-inch center back zip, and a facing to finish the waistband. The pattern features five hemline variations, from mini to maxi, which was a huge selling point with me; I didn't want to deter any students from taking the class because their fave hemline is different than mine. A tall lady (or someone with a more modest style) would look great in the hemline above. (You can see some pulling at the hip level in this version. I slashed and spread the pattern following this first attempt to add a little ease through the hip).

I cut version D in a printed fabric. This skirt I will actually wear.


I cut the miniskirt, version E, in black. Even for a photo shoot I had to wear stockings. I call this hemline Zooey Deschanel in the Opening Credits of New Girl Short:


I like the mini with tights or leggings. My legs look longer. I look younger and fun....but bare-legged? How would I sit down the subway? My thighs would touch surfaces that no part of my body should come in contact with. I live in New York City, where you can bet everything has been puked or peed on (or worse) at some point...


Considering all that, this conservative length is looking better and better. If anything, it will encourage me to wear heels every now and then. 

How do you choose a hemline? And how do you make it work within an outfit?

13 comments:

  1. I love all of them on you!!!

    I'm 5'5" with legs that are slightly longish for my height and that are VERY shapely. So too short and I look like I'm auditioning for Hooters and too long and I look stumpy.

    I like right at the kneecap. Like RIGHT there. I made one midi skirt and it looks dowdy but I like it. I'll probably wear it in fall with boots

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you on the Hooters thing! Also there's got to be an equation to determine the right heel height to wear with what skirt length...

      Delete
  2. Oh and the mini with tights is a YES. There is something so classic about a black mini with black opaque tights. Yes yes. Yes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am definitely the first two. Now, if I could get away with it, knee length would be my choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The hem length I'm comfortable with changes depending on the garment. I like to keep things to the knee if they're fitted, like a slinky pencil skirt. But if I'm wearing something that's loose, like a shift dress, I go pretty short, like mid-thigh, to balance the baggier silhouette.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it really depends for me... my go-to is an inch or two above the knee. i'm 5'8" and most of my height is in my legs... my femurs to be exact. so anything that makes it past my knees looks like it's a few inches below where you'd expect my knees to be... frump city! i do tend to go shorter in the winter since i can cover up with tights. p.s. i think the mini is super cute on you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the mini looks awesome with the tights. I think it depends on the flare of the skirt. I do love a good midi right now, but not in an a line. I agree that right about the knee is the most flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a bit fickle with skirt length. I really can't decide if I prefer just above the knee or gypsy, nearly dragging the ground length. Today it's just above the knee. Luckily, being tall affords me a lot of options with out distorting my shape.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That longer hem is actually pretty sexy librarian on you. I think most of us aim for just above or below the knee as well and save minis for party dresses and maxis for summertime.

    ReplyDelete
  9. uggggh my salme dress, worn yesterday on the subway, while totally cute and fun, is NOT subway seat appropriate length. thighs on plastic. had to oxiclean myself. might have to go do it again, now that i've been reminded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I have SO had that experience. YUCK for miniskirts on the subway. I tend to prefer at the knee or just above, with an occasional maxi or mini for variety.

      Delete
  10. I like the same -- I shoot for right above knee for most of my makes. I tend to only go as "mini" as maybe two inches above my knee. I don't love the length of the khaki skirt, but I wasn't sure why until I read Kelli's comment above... which I now realize is exactly it. I like that length sometimes for a pencil skirt, but not at all for a-line. Interesting post! I like it when I can suss out what I like and don't like and (maybe) even why!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm similar to you - just above the knees, but I will wear a mini with tights or leggings (I have the whitest legs in Australia) and I also like just below the knees in a pencil skirt but it has to hit right at a certain point to avoid the frump factor. It also depends on how much skin is being shown on top too - has to balance out! I love the two shorter lengths on you. Maybe the longer in a different colour like a denim. I'm just not into beige!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...