Jun 9, 2014

Kindersewing: Connect-the-dots Sewing Sheets

In a previous post about getting started on sewing with kids I told you that sewing paper is a great first step toward true self-directed sewing. Eliminate the thread and you don't have to worry about tangles and jammed bobbin casings. But sewing straight lines on ruled paper won't keep kids interested for long. Connect-the-dots, meanwhile, totally will. 

Following the dots is good practice for pivoting around corners, sewing curves, and lifting (and putting back down!) the presser foot. By the end of sewing all three of my printable sheets, you kid will be well on his or her way to stitching safely and consciously. 

It's actually harder than you might think. You have to go slowly, but the result is fun: as the needle punches holes in the paper while you sew, the secret picture is revealed:

 My daughter is almost six, and she loves this activity. It buys me a solid half-hour at my own sewing machine. Win-win!


It was hard to get her to guide fabric under the presser foot when she first started sewing on a machine. But look how she uses both hands with the paper:

Look Ma, no thread!
This activity is great practice and really fun. If your rookie sewer tries one of my sheets, please post a pic on Instagram or Twitter and @ me (sewyorkcity). I'd love to see it!



And here




(Why can't blogger attach a link to a picture? It's enough to make a lady want to move to Wordpress!)

Happy sewing!

10 comments:

  1. great idea! my nearly 6 year old is getting a sewing machine for her birthday in a couple of weeks and i'm going to start her on these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you can put a link onto a picture - well at least to another part of your page - you select the picture then click on the 'link' button on your control bar :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linkage is possible, like Jennifer said. Once the image is in the post, click the image and then up where on the bar where you've got font options and wahtnot there's a link edit button. Delete its original linka nd put in your own! If I ever have kids, you can bet I'll be printing some of these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great idea! And I loved your post on teaching kids how to sew. I've been thinking about teaching my little cousins who have shown an interest after seeing my projects. I think they'd love this (especially if they could color it in afterwards).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coloring it in afterwards is a GREAT idea. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much, it's a great idea, btw, JrC loves using the machine and at 11, he can set a mean zipper on a pouch.
    And I have said it before, but I'll say it again, I am glad your back for I have missed you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your idea, but when I tried to print it for my kids I had trouble with the third sheet. It seems that the third link is attached to the second sheet. I hope you can fix that.
    I really love your blog.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will go fix this problem right now. I appreciate the heads-up!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...