Jun 13, 2014

Weekend sewing: LBJ Dress

It's not often that a man's disparate interests intersect in the way that the Broadway play "All The Way" brings together my husband's fascination with Lyndon Johnson and his love of theater.

So I bought tickets for the final week of the show (whose star Bryan Cranston just won the Tony Award for Best Actor). Set in 1963-64, All The Way starts with JFK's assassination and ends with the passing of the Civil Rights Act. It's not, as you may have guessed, a musical. The tickets are my husband's birthday gift and a major splurge; it's rare we get to go out like this together.

So I thought it appropos to make a dress for this very special occasion using a pattern I snatched from the swap table at Workroom Social's recent Manhattan meetup:


How very '60s, right? I choose View E for the neckline (it is a date, after all) and the 3/4 sleeves. I'm intrigued by the long dart that curves from the bust apex all the way to the hip:



I'm using this black and white printed cotton blend I bought last month at Mood:


The pattern's previous owner had already shortened it for me — and she apparently cut the same version too. Thank you, whoever you are!


Worried about how it would fit through the hips (and not sure how to take it in or let it out thanks to that weird long dart), I tested the pattern in a not-very-stretchy jersey I bought from Girl Charlee for just $3. I will be adjusting the pattern to bring it in at the waist — and then drop the armhole (and adjust the sleeve). Hopefully I can cut into my fabric before the weekend is through.

Moving on, earlier this week I also sewed three zipper clutch bags for my daughter's teachers, using the Bow Clutch Tutorial from Elm Street Life.



For the lining I used this "I Like You" fabric by comedian and crafter Amy Sedaris (I bought it at Hart's Fabrics here):


I made special sew-in tags for Lucy's teachers to remember her by using the DIY tag tutorial I posted last month:


My daughter helped with sewing the bags. She stitched the bows for all three on a Singer Featherweight on loan to me from Peter of Male Pattern Boldness. At one point she said, "Mom! I'm like a Pilgrim!" (because she was sewing on a vintage machine). Not quite the right era but I will take the enthusiasm. (Hopefully they teach History in Grade 1?).


So what's on your sewing table for the weekend?

12 comments:

  1. That long, curved dart is called a french dart and they are making a comeback because they are very flattering to almost all figures. Look forward to seeing your final dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So that's what it's called! I was wondering...I think it's very flattering.

      Delete
  2. Three cheers for date night! Wow, that's a great gift for her teachers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Date night doesn't happen often in these parts, so it's DIY dress-worthy.

      Delete
  3. Look forward to seeing the dress - I adore 60's patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  4. can't wait to see this! the french dart intrigues me, but i've never sewn with one. cute bags too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made several versions of a similar pattern, in the 60's! The French dart is super flattering, it was my favorite pattern, can't wait to see your version!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo date night! Have fun with the dress and the actual date. And pilgrim sewing ... hahaha!

    Side note - would you consider "claiming" your blog on Bloglovin so I can follow through that? Most of my blog reading is on my phone these days, through BL. Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gulp. Sure? I will try. Hope it's not hard!

      Delete
  7. I'm excited to see this dress! It's funny- when I saw your IG photo about the pattern, I was like, "Wow, someone else uses blue painter's tape on things!" and I'm only just now realizing that the pattern came from me! I made it for my sister who's 5'2". :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so funny! I knew I would find out eventually who it had belonged too.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...